It was recorded that 293.6 billion emails were sent per day in 2019. Just think about that for a minute. That’s almost 150,000 emails sent in the minute you spent thinking.
How often do you look at your inbox and break out in a cold sweat at the number of unread messages? Well it doesn’t have to be this way.
There is no doubt that email adds a huge amount of value to your job,
- having long-term conversations with clients about streamlining processes,
- avoiding the use of paper or post to speak to your client about a contract or important document,
- getting your colleagues attention by sending them a one liner,
- or putting all your thoughts to your team about how to improve operations
It is an important and cost-effective communicative tool that we are all used to using, and it doesn’t have to be abandoned. But when you compare it to other tools like Microsoft Teams that actually enhance communication and collaboration, email becomes a bit pointless.
There are many ways to communicate with your clients or peers, without having to send 10 emails back and forth in order to get the desired response. At T-Tech, we use the chat tool in teams to talk within our teams and across the company, and also to our clients and other external people. Being able to send 2 to 3 messages within 5 minutes and get an answer about the status of an ongoing project, is much easier than waiting 2 days for an email reply. We can no longer remember life before Teams chat…
Getting a quick response to your questions and group discussions isn’t the only benefit. There are a variety of gains to a chat-based collaboration and communication tool like Teams:
- It makes it a bit more personal – sometimes you receive an email which is accidentally addressed to ‘insert first name’. In this instance, many would just discard the email without reading any further! But having a one-to-one conversation, makes what your saying more personal and therefore meaningful.
- Improved efficiency and collaboration – integration with all your other Office 365 applications means you don’t need to switch between apps when trying to work on something with your colleagues. No more sending out different versions through email and the resulting version confusion. You can add comments and to-dos, and chat with your co-workers to discuss the document right there.
- There’s more than just chat! Teams allows for document sharing and collaboration, video and audio conference calling, and virtual meetings and events. We even have our entire phone system integrated within Teams, so there’s no excuse to ignore the phones now!
You should no longer feel like your drowning in emails, or exasperated by the growing red number in front of your inbox icon. The email chains and chases to get answers and responses is a thing of the past. If somebody needs to send you a file, or ask you a one-line question? Well that’s what chat is for!
Try it. You will never look back…